Banner image

Guardianship: Ensuring There Is a Responsible Adult to Care for Children

News & Blog Dec 21, 2018

Life does not always go as planned. For parents with minor children, a sudden illness or injury or an unexpected absence from home requires arrangements for the care of children in the absence of the parents. Most people ask a close relative or friend to step into their shoes and care for their children if the unexpected happens. However, we must be sure that we have provided that trusted person with the legal documents necessary to be able to step into those shoes so they can deal with schools, doctors and so on. In California, nominating a legal guardian is the way in which we set forth our desires for that person to be the caregiver under the law.

What Is a Guardianship?

There are actually two types of guardianship in California: Guardianship of the person and guardianship of the estate. Typically they are sought concurrently, but there are cases where only one or another is necessary. Guardianship of the person begins as a court petition asking that custody and the authority to care for a minor child be given to someone other than a parent. A guardianship appointment typically gives the guardian custody of the child and authority to make decisions regarding the child’s care, including:

  • Medical and dental care
  • Education
  • Food, clothing, and shelter
  • Emotional growth and wellbeing
  • Protection and safety

Appointment as a guardianship of a minor’s estate also requires a court proceeding, but the focus is on appointing a guardian to manage a child’s financial affairs, including income and property management, as opposed to providing day-to-day care and guidance for the child. A guardian of the estate would be required in situations in which the parents of a child die leaving assets and money to the child as an inheritance, although if the parent had done a thorough plan then a trustee of the parents’ trust would manage that child’s assets pursuant to the terms of the trust.

Parents meeting with an attorney to plan their estate frequently designate their preference for guardian should they both die. They can designate the same person as guardian of the person and of the estate, or they can choose different people for each role. The ultimate approval and appointment of their preference remains with the court but the courts give great deference to the parents nominated person(s).

When Is a Guardianship Needed?

As already mentioned, the death of a child’s parents would, at the very least, require a request for a court to appoint a guardian of the person. Depending on whether money and assets are left to the child by a last will and testament or through a trust, there could also be a need for a guardian of the estate. Other situations that could arise resulting in a parent asking someone to care for a child include the following:

  • A parent in the military with orders for an overseas assignment.
  • A parent entering a drug or alcohol rehabilitation facility.
  • The incarceration in jail or prison of a parent.
  • The physical or mental incapacity of the parent.

Courts considering an application to appoint a guardian of the person are concerned with the best interest of the child. The primary focus is to provide a safe and stable setting for the care of the child during the period of time that the parent or parents are unable to do so.

Alternative or Supplement to Formal Guardianship

While a petition for guardianship is pending with the court or in situations requiring a caregiver for a child for only a short-term, there are two options available. A parent can designate another person to care for a child using the form titled, Power of Attorney for a Minor Child. The form is signed by the parent or parents in front of a notary.

The power of attorney is an acknowledgment by the parent that the person named in it as the caregiver is authorized to have physical custody of the child and make decisions regarding education and health care. Parents do not give up their rights to child custody, nor do they give up decision-making authority. The form merely extends the authority to another person, but parents may cancel at any time.

The second option for a caregiver, particularly in situations where the consent of the parent cannot be obtained, is a Caregiver’s Authorization Affidavit. After it is signed in front of a notary by the individual serving as the child’s caregiver, it authorizes the person to enroll the child in school. If the caregiver is related to the child, the affidavit also allows the person to make decisions regarding medical care and treatment. The affidavit may be canceled by the parents of the child at any time.

The Power of Attorney for a Minor Child and the Caregiver’s Authorization Affidavit are limited in the authority granted to the caregiver. The other shortcoming is the ability of a parent to cancel them at will. Guardianship granted by a court gives the guardian essentially the same powers and authority as a parent and without the uncertainty of the ability of a parent to cancel it.

Speak to an attorney for more information about guardianship nominations when you are doing your estate plan. Keep in mind they can be nominated in your will or trust or can be a stand-alone document, but the important thing is that you have noted your preference so that the court can consider that when appointing a guardian for your minor child, should such an appointment ever be necessary.

At NM Law, our estate planning attorneys are a knowledgeable and experienced source of information about guardianship, including how to incorporate it into your estate planning. Call them today at (949) 253-0000 to schedule an appointment.


Disclaimer: This article is intended to provide a general summary of laws in the State of California and should not be construed as a legal opinion nor a complete legal analysis of the subject matter. Noelle Minto is an attorney at NM Law, APC in Tustin, California, a law firm specializing in Trusts & Estates and Business Transactions.


Ms. Minto has been a business and estates transactional attorney based in California since 2003. Her practice is now located in Tustin, CA but represents individuals and entities based throughout the United States and abroad. Phone: (949) 253-0000, Email:


  • NM Law is an excellent law firm to work with! Noelle and her team are very thorough and knowledgeable. They explained the estate planning process to us and kept us informed every step of the way. We…

    Monique S
  • I greatly appreciate Noelle’s assistance in making difficult decisions. When she provides counsel I know she puts herself and her family in my shoes. I feel comfortable knowing my attorney has analyzed every angle and leaves out…

    Cinda H.
  • For those of you that are looking for the perfect attorney to handle any of your estate issues, well Noelle is the one for you! I can’t say enough about Noelle! She recently handled a case for…

    Suzie F.
  • One of the most important things you can do for your family is have a good Living Trust done by an attorney you can trust to take care of your business. I highly recommend Noelle Minto, an…

    Sandy Z.
  • Working with Noelle on litigation and transactional matters was truly a valuable experience for me. Not only was she a great communicator with clients and personnel, but zealous and passionate about her clients. I would recommend her…

    Darren S.
  • I’ve known Noelle as a colleague and friend for close to seven years. Working “across the aisle” in the fast-paced and partisan world of LA County politics, I found Noelle remarkable for her ability to quickly grasp…

    Kerjon L.
  • Noelle and her team were professional, courteous and diligent with my case. It was a small matter but they took it as though it was a large one. They reached a settlement quickly and very little effort…

    Doug S.
  • After my mother’s death, The bank locked all her accounts and the insurance company was playing games. Our family lawyer never call me back. I called Noelle for help! My paper work was not in order at…

    Randy B.
  • Noelle is awesome. Handled everything I needed in a timely manner. Very professional!

    Tammy W.
  • I have worked with Noelle on my Estate Planning and was very impressed by the way she handled my business. Noelle was extremely professional and available for all my questions. I would highly recommend anyone looking for…

    Zac C.
  • I have worked with many attorneys, and there are very few that I would ever recommend. Noelle and her team have gone above and beyond to help all of our clients that we have referred to her….

    Robert Sousa
  • I was first referred to Noelle Minto by my family law attorney Mike Monarch to provide oversight on my husband’s Trust conforming with our Post Marital Agreement. Her outstanding legal insights helped me to feel secure that…

    Sharon McCubbin
  • Noelle and Samantha and their team are amazing. They are extremely knowledgeable and professional (they are the best). They have and continue to support me and my family while dealing with my parents Will and Trust. Samantha…

    Greg Bishop
  • I had a great experience with Noelle and Samantha at NM Law. They were fast, clear and got the result we wanted under budget. I am very happy and impressed.

    John Arens
  • NM Law is an exceptional place to work! Our office is located in the City of Tustin, off the 55 Freeway, between the 5 and 405 Freeways. Our main cross streets are Redhill Avenue and Edinger Avenue…

    Samantha Smith
  • The N.W Law team in Tustin Ca was instrumental in achieving a just result in our family trust dispute. We had the privilege of being represented by Samantha Smith and her staff, during one of my saddest…

    Herman baldonado
  • Amazing service. So happy with the whole team!

    Mitchell Hilde
  • So glad to work with this team of professionals

    Noelle Minto
  • As an attorney who has used two other wills & trusts lawyers prior to seeing Noelle, I have a pretty good idea of what to expect and what it should cost. I recommend Noelle to anyone who…

    Lynne Boisineau
  • Highly recommend NM Law. I recently worked with Noelle and her team on my family trust and the process could not have gone smoother. Very knowledgeable and professional. I have since recommended all of my family members…

    Nathan Perkins
  • A very professional approach and action to fulfill our personal requirements

    Waldo ortega
  • My husband and I decided to update our 12 year old trust. We initally had a call with Noelle, and were instantly very comfortable with her approach. Noelle was great to work with, very patient, was willing…

    Cheri Ondatje
  • Vey helpful with good insight to take the proper steps with difficult situations and have my questions answered. Noelle and her team are professional and courteous and great to work with!

    Corine Cojocaru
  • Samantha and the team are professional compassionate and get the job done. She articulates very well what needs to be done. Her and the firm do Probate and Trust at its finest to protect their clients. She…

    Silvana Sarkis
  • I was referred to NM Law after dealing with a myriad of problems in settling a complicated Trust in Riverside County. At the initial meeting, Noelle Minto and Samantha Smith listened to the mess I was in…

    Aleathea Rayburn
  • Love this firm. I’ve worked on a wide range of legal issues with NM law, and the attorneys here are top notch, reasonably priced, and a pleasure to work with. They truly care about each of their…

  • Ms. Minto, I want to thank you and your staff for the courtesy extended to us during our family’s pending emergency deadline. Mr. O’Grady spoke to my brother and gave us his best recommendation regarding my father’s…

    Abraham Torres

Charities We Support

We dedicate pro bono time, volunteer services, and a percentage of our gross revenue to these organizations. In 2023, we sponsored a refugee family of five to come to the United States and start a new life.

Each year our law firm decides as a group which charities to assist with our time, money, and expertise. Please feel free to click on any of the charities below and make a donation of your own.

  • Charities
  • Charities
  • Charities
  • Charities
  • Charities
  • Charities