Banner image

FAQs Personal Inheritance and Community Property

News & Blog Feb 24, 2020

What is a community property state?

  • California is a community property state, meaning California state law governs how property acquired by a couple during a marriage is divided between them when the decide to end their relationship. State law classifies property as marital property.  Marital property is owned equally by both parties.  At the end of the relationship, marital property typically is divided equally, unless one of the parties can prove it to be separate property that is not subject to division.

Can my ex-spouse take property that I inherited during our marriage?

  • At the moment a spouse inherits property during a marriage, that property belongs only to the inheriting spouse and is considered “separate property” not subject to division. However, depending on how you handle the inherited property over time, part or even all of the inherited property may end up in an ex-spouse’s hands.

How should I handle property that I inherited during the marriage to protect it from being divided at divorce?

  • California permits you to claim as separate property not subject to division the house your aunt left to you in her Will even if the inheritance came to you during your marriage.

How should I handle income generated by inherited property?

  • If you claim the inherited property as separate property, then all income generated by the property is also separate property. That is, if you choose to rent out your late Aunt’s home, the rental income is separate property that belongs to you and cannot be divided.  Similarly, if you purchase something using the money generated by the rental income from the inherited property that you claimed as separate property, then the item(s) that you purchased are also separate property that belongs to you and cannot be divided.

How do I claim inherited property as separate property?

  • Preventing inherited property from becoming community property can be a challenge without the assistance of an attorney to guide you. The road to claiming property as separate property is riddled with potholes that can get you caught up in a concept called commingling.

What is commingling?

  • Commingling is the mixing of community property and separate property that could cause your inheritance to be divided during a divorce. For example, if you sell your late aunt’s home you inherited and deposit the money into a bank account held jointly by you and your spouse, then you have commingled separate property with community property.  If you use some or all of the money received through an inheritance to make repairs or improvements to a home that you own jointly with your spouse, then you have commingled separate property with community property.

How can I protect my inheritance from becoming community property that my ex-spouse can take?

  • Do not commingle your inheritance or profits derived from it with assets you own together with your spouse.
  • Do not add your spouse to title or take loans out in both of your names secured by that property.
  • Keep and protect all records pertaining to inherited assets in order to have them available should your spouse challenge their status as separate property.
  • If you are already inherited then you may want to consider placing your separate property inheritance into a separate property trust.

How can the greater family assist in protecting my inheritance from an ex-spouse?

  • Advise your family to give you your inheritance through an irrevocable trust with a third-party trustee. This keeps it out of your ownership all together while still providing you a beneficial interest.  It would likewise not be subject to spousal support orders or other negative effects of divorce.

These are just a couple of easy tips to help protect your family’s hard-earned money from going out the door in an unintended way.  The attorneys at NM Law combine their knowledge of California laws with their skills in estate planning and asset preservation to advise clients concerned about protecting inheritances in the event of a divorce.  Call them today at (949) 253-0000 to schedule an appointment.

Disclaimer: This article is intended to provide a general summary of laws in the State of California and should not be construed as a legal opinion nor a complete legal analysis of the subject matter. Noelle Minto is an attorney at NM Law, APC in Tustin, California, a law firm specializing in Trusts & Estates and Business Transactions.


Ms. Minto has been a business and estates transactional attorney based in California since 2003. Her practice is now located in Tustin, CA but represents individuals and entities based throughout the United States and abroad. Phone: (949) 253-0000, Email:


  • NM Law is an excellent law firm to work with! Noelle and her team are very thorough and knowledgeable. They explained the estate planning process to us and kept us informed every step of the way. We…

    Monique S
  • I greatly appreciate Noelle’s assistance in making difficult decisions. When she provides counsel I know she puts herself and her family in my shoes. I feel comfortable knowing my attorney has analyzed every angle and leaves out…

    Cinda H.
  • For those of you that are looking for the perfect attorney to handle any of your estate issues, well Noelle is the one for you! I can’t say enough about Noelle! She recently handled a case for…

    Suzie F.
  • One of the most important things you can do for your family is have a good Living Trust done by an attorney you can trust to take care of your business. I highly recommend Noelle Minto, an…

    Sandy Z.
  • Working with Noelle on litigation and transactional matters was truly a valuable experience for me. Not only was she a great communicator with clients and personnel, but zealous and passionate about her clients. I would recommend her…

    Darren S.
  • I’ve known Noelle as a colleague and friend for close to seven years. Working “across the aisle” in the fast-paced and partisan world of LA County politics, I found Noelle remarkable for her ability to quickly grasp…

    Kerjon L.
  • Noelle and her team were professional, courteous and diligent with my case. It was a small matter but they took it as though it was a large one. They reached a settlement quickly and very little effort…

    Doug S.
  • After my mother’s death, The bank locked all her accounts and the insurance company was playing games. Our family lawyer never call me back. I called Noelle for help! My paper work was not in order at…

    Randy B.
  • Noelle is awesome. Handled everything I needed in a timely manner. Very professional!

    Tammy W.
  • I have worked with Noelle on my Estate Planning and was very impressed by the way she handled my business. Noelle was extremely professional and available for all my questions. I would highly recommend anyone looking for…

    Zac C.
  • I have worked with many attorneys, and there are very few that I would ever recommend. Noelle and her team have gone above and beyond to help all of our clients that we have referred to her….

    Robert Sousa
  • I was first referred to Noelle Minto by my family law attorney Mike Monarch to provide oversight on my husband’s Trust conforming with our Post Marital Agreement. Her outstanding legal insights helped me to feel secure that…

    Sharon McCubbin
  • Noelle and Samantha and their team are amazing. They are extremely knowledgeable and professional (they are the best). They have and continue to support me and my family while dealing with my parents Will and Trust. Samantha…

    Greg Bishop
  • I had a great experience with Noelle and Samantha at NM Law. They were fast, clear and got the result we wanted under budget. I am very happy and impressed.

    John Arens
  • NM Law is an exceptional place to work! Our office is located in the City of Tustin, off the 55 Freeway, between the 5 and 405 Freeways. Our main cross streets are Redhill Avenue and Edinger Avenue…

    Samantha Smith
  • The N.W Law team in Tustin Ca was instrumental in achieving a just result in our family trust dispute. We had the privilege of being represented by Samantha Smith and her staff, during one of my saddest…

    Herman baldonado
  • Amazing service. So happy with the whole team!

    Mitchell Hilde
  • So glad to work with this team of professionals

    Noelle Minto
  • As an attorney who has used two other wills & trusts lawyers prior to seeing Noelle, I have a pretty good idea of what to expect and what it should cost. I recommend Noelle to anyone who…

    Lynne Boisineau
  • Highly recommend NM Law. I recently worked with Noelle and her team on my family trust and the process could not have gone smoother. Very knowledgeable and professional. I have since recommended all of my family members…

    Nathan Perkins
  • A very professional approach and action to fulfill our personal requirements

    Waldo ortega
  • My husband and I decided to update our 12 year old trust. We initally had a call with Noelle, and were instantly very comfortable with her approach. Noelle was great to work with, very patient, was willing…

    Cheri Ondatje
  • Vey helpful with good insight to take the proper steps with difficult situations and have my questions answered. Noelle and her team are professional and courteous and great to work with!

    Corine Cojocaru
  • Samantha and the team are professional compassionate and get the job done. She articulates very well what needs to be done. Her and the firm do Probate and Trust at its finest to protect their clients. She…

    Silvana Sarkis
  • I was referred to NM Law after dealing with a myriad of problems in settling a complicated Trust in Riverside County. At the initial meeting, Noelle Minto and Samantha Smith listened to the mess I was in…

    Aleathea Rayburn
  • Love this firm. I’ve worked on a wide range of legal issues with NM law, and the attorneys here are top notch, reasonably priced, and a pleasure to work with. They truly care about each of their…

  • Ms. Minto, I want to thank you and your staff for the courtesy extended to us during our family’s pending emergency deadline. Mr. O’Grady spoke to my brother and gave us his best recommendation regarding my father’s…

    Abraham Torres

Charities We Support

We dedicate pro bono time, volunteer services, and a percentage of our gross revenue to these organizations. In 2023, we sponsored a refugee family of five to come to the United States and start a new life.

Each year our law firm decides as a group which charities to assist with our time, money, and expertise. Please feel free to click on any of the charities below and make a donation of your own.

  • Charities
  • Charities
  • Charities
  • Charities
  • Charities
  • Charities